Thursday 21 July 2016

Feature Friday: Shovava Wearable Art - Roza Khamitova

Where are you from and where do you practice your work?
I was born in Almaty, Kazakhstan and I grew up in New York City. I now live and work in Byron Bay, Australia.
Are you self taught or have you completed any training?
I was born into a family of artists so I had an artistic upbringing.
I did go to School of Visual Arts as well. 
How would you describe your artwork/process?
At the start of every process is the idea and inspiration. I have always been enchanted with the image of wings, nature designed them for utility but blessed them with endless variety and beauty. I have especially been drawn to their inherent power and symbolism. 
My scarves are created using age-old artist techniques of draftsmanship and painting combined with the marvels of the latest technology. I first hand draw full-spread wings on paper with a light pencil. Then, painstakingly, I outline each line with black ink and proceed to add in details to create the illusion of three dimensions. Finally, I paint with acrylics to create a great variety of vibrant colours. These designs are then digitised on the computer  and I make final tweaks or adjustments. The artwork is then printed using the latest digital textile printers in a very meticulous and careful process that ensures the product retains all of the feel and detail of my hand painted originals.
What is your biggest influence/inspiration?
I draw inspiration from everywhere and I don’t have to look far to find it. The natural world is the greatest source of excitement, visual beauty and intellectual interest for me. I live in the most beautiful area in Australia where nature shows off its beauty in all its glory. I am surrounded by the jungle, sea, forests, lakes and valleys and am visited by all kinds of birds everyday. A few weeks ago, swallows built a nest above my bedroom and I watched them fly by all day by simply looking out of my window. 
Have you ever received any artistic awards for your work?
My biggest award is the love and appreciation I get from my fans.
What are you working on at the moment?
Right now I'm working on a new bikini line which I'm super excited about. I have a new collection coming out: new kimonos, kaftans, skirts and leggings all adorned with my new art.

No comments:

Post a Comment